Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Celibacy: Day 9

Celibacy is making me soft. Um, let me rephrase that. Celibacy is making me sentimental and a bit nostalgic. I have been thinking fondly of exes and found a pinch of hope for love in the future that has been laying dormant for awhile.

Not in the way everyone wants to hear. It isn't a huge difference and it isn't going to end in me outside of anyones window with a boombox or serenading with a song that is just obscure enough to be clever and just well-known enough to induce nostalgia. Then again it has only been 9 days.

It's the whole process though. Mostly it is people asking why I am doing this and I still have no answer. It makes you think about things. Celibacy is boring.

One thing that I have noticed is that being celibate, and having people know about it, opens conversation to sex. Mostly in the "30 days is nothing, I am currently on day [fill in he blank]" kind of way. This leads to the question of why they are on day [fill in the blank] and then questions of masturbation, relationships, casual sex.

I have a friend who has a husband in the military. He is deployed for months at a time and currently for a year. She has never owned a vibrator of any kind and runs 6 miles a day. I found her one on sale on the internet.

I know a guy who isn't a fan of sex, but masturbates a lot. I know a girl who has scheduled sex with her husband on Thursdays. I know a girl who will not give head because she is afraid that she is too good at it and her boyfriend will never want anything else.

I have friends who don't enjoy sex. Some of them do it anyhow to please their partners, some of them had traumatic experiences to turn them off of it, some are far too old to have never had good sex and yet here they are.

You can learn a lot from celibacy, I guess.



No comments:

Post a Comment